View Single Post
Old 11-29-2012, 09:53 AM

Interesting. So everyone agrees that a McIntosh MC452 WILL drive these speakers without issue and the Marantz will not-at least as well, correct? That is remarkable-to me. My theory and thoughts: Although the McIntosh MC402 could drive my JBL 1400 Array speakers, the Marantz does it better in the bass regions while the mids/highs are a bit more detailed than the McIntosh, although the Mac did have a very warm, pleasant sound(this is according to me). It was explained to me that it was not so much about the wpc but more so of the supplied current for transients. From what I can glean, the Marantz have 150 amps of peak current where the McIntosh was in the ballpark of 100 amps. Also, while considering the move from the 402 to 501 monoblocks or the 452, I noticed that the 452 actually has a lower stated current supply than the 402.......weird, I thought. Personally, I suspect that some speakers require more current than others to shine. I would expect the amps listed in the first response to be of similar or much better quality than the Marantz amps but I am unwilling(at this point)to upgrade. I guess I would rather stay the status quo-which is fine by me.

Again, I thank all for the responses. It is still a leaning process for me. One that will continue until I can really discuss the technology in a more proficent and concrete way.