View Single Post
Old 07-11-2019, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grasshopper View Post
I’ve always been a manual gearbox guy, especially with my sports cars.

I had a Honda S2000- manual was a MUST...a BMW M3 ——Manual was critical.

I broke rank and bought the PDK transmission with my Porsche 911. Certainly my Carrera S would be pretty fun with a manual, but PDK is pretty special too.

When I was initially shopping for a 911 turbo, I was manual or bust!!! My attitude changed, however, after a few test drives.

With very fast cars, first gear is often useless in a manual. With 0-60 times becoming increasingly common under 3 seconds, everything happens way faster.

I’m not surprised in these kinds of cars that dual clutch transmissions are taking over. It really helps make the speed much more usable.

For practical purposes, if I were to get another “fun” car that was a 0-60 in say 4 seconds like my Porsche, I could go manual and have fun.

0-60 in 2.5 seconds (or less)- - - I’m surprised to say that I’m a dual clutch convert.
Makes sense. Precisely why Ferrari, Lamborghini and even Audi R8 no longer come with a manual. Good to have choices though and I still prefer the manual since I've only launched my PDK and Dual Clutch cars a few times each at most and never again. It's pointless (to me) to go from 0-60 in 2.5 seconds beyond the few attempts to see what it's like.