View Single Post
Old 10-25-2017, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
I unscrewed the Stillpoints Ultra SS from the chassis of my two McIntosh MC2301 power amplifiers. I used the credit card suggestion to achieve equal spacing on all eight footers. Lo and behold I discovered a small improvement in low frequency definition. Bass, particularly acoustic double bass, gained a bit more clarity on the initial release of plucked strings. It is slight, but noticeable. I also noticed the elimination of an occasional biting edge on certain upper octave piano notes in some recordings that are now properly reproduced without creating undue attention. Ivan's advice for backing the Ultra SS footers off the amplifier chassis proved worthwhile. There seems to be no end to continuously chasing the audio dragon's tail. It is great fun.
Does one back off the Stillpoints Ultra SS body and hi-hat on all components or just on amplifiers, please? Also, I've got Ultra 5s under my speakers. Does one back off the body and hi-hat there, too? Or is this technique to be used only on amplifiers?