Thread: Want to stream
View Single Post
Old 03-14-2018, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonBattles View Post
The D-05's digital chipset is based on Burr-Brown's PCM1792A, it will "extend" 16-bit/44.1kHz "Red Book" data to a depth of 24 bits. It;s actually, as far as I can find, the same chipset used in the current D-06u and D-08u. I find it very good, to my ears, especially with SACD playback. As a DAC I'm sure it would be bested by todays offerings. Anyway, I'm not trying to argue, I'm happy with the D-05 and have no plans to replace it. My focus here is on adding streaming capability, to help clarify where my head is (especially after more ready today) I'm thinking the Auralic Altair might be a good choice?
The Luxman is an outstanding SACD/CD player. It is very musical and smooth. I love my D-06u and I have compared it to the Oppo of course out of curiosity. I would never suggest you give up the Luxman for Oppo. Simply suggesting that the Oppo is a very convenient way to stream with Roon.

To me Roon is a very powerful tool. I love the features and convenience of browsing and organizing music as well as the often interesting information on albums and artists that is available. I use Roon with no less than 3 or 4 DACs between my main system and the headphone gear. Often at the same time for either breaking headphones in, burning in a new amp, cables, etc. With Roon you can do that. The Digital Signal Processing is a feature I often use with headphones as well. Roon has become my main hub for all music distribution to all my systems. Can't imaging being without it but not everyone needs it of course.