View Single Post
Old 05-28-2016, 08:25 PM

Several hours into the AHB-2 being in my system, a few more things are coming to mind as the amp burns in.

Soundstaging is excellent. The Benchmark aids and abets the Quatro Wood CT’s talent for separating instruments and voices. This is a very important attribute for classical music. Without separation in space instruments and vocalists can sonically overlap each other and telling them apart becomes a tad difficult. It helps that the Benchmark’s textures and timbre of instruments are also clearer, as are the instrumental and vocal components of large orchestras and choral ensembles

One of my tests for tonal resolution is Vladimir Horowitz’s 1985 New York recording (DG). His Steinway is an amazing tonal kaleidoscope that can sound clangy on lesser amps. Thru the Benchmark the complexity of his piano’s tones comes through clearly, so the clangy sound is absent.

Another test of resolution I use is the Helene Grimaud/Swedish Radio Symphony Orchestra and Choir recording of Beethoven’s Choral Fantasy (also DG). There are subtle plucking of strings in the middle of the second movement along with some nice voice solos near the end of the same movement. The plucking is very evident and the vocalists sound gorgeous. I’ve heard this recording through the Linn Klimax system where the plucks sounded just a tad more clear, but that system had a $80k set of speakers!

A favorite test using rock music is Boston’s “Hitch a Ride” where there is an acoustic guitar that plays in the background in the second half of the song. The Benchmark brings it out so it’s presence is plainly evident.

More impressions to come in a few days.
Digital Software: Roon, Tidal Streaming
Digital Music Server: Melco N1A/2
Digital Sources: Totaldac d1-twelve SE MkII (factory upgraded from MKI) with "live power" 4 output power supply, Oppo UDP-205
Preamplifier: Rogue Audio RP-9 (factory upgraded from RP-7)
Amplifier: Vandersteen M5-HPA
Speakers: Vandersteen Quatro Wood CT w/IsoAcoustics Gaia 1 feet
Cabling: WW Platinum Starlight 7 digital wires, Totaldac Gigafilter USB filter, AQ Sky XLR, AQ Fire RCA
Speaker Cables: AudioQuest Oak spades ---> bi-wire spades
Power Cables: Esprit PC (for DAC), 2 WW Platinum Electra PC (Preamp/Phono Preamp), AQ NRG10 (Melco N1A/2), AQ Blizzard (Quatro Wood CT built-in subs)
Power Conditioning: 2 AQ Niagara 1000, 3 Oyaide R1 outlets
Sound Treatments: 23 ASC Tube Traps and 10 Panels

Last edited by ylee; 05-29-2016 at 12:29 AM.