View Single Post
Old 06-12-2012, 07:06 PM

Thanks for the feedback. I agree that upgrades are in order for my speakers. That said, I'm not exactly satisfied with the MX150 when it comes to multichannel (and 2 channel) music. The Krell S1200 has such a nice DAC and implementation which is why I'm mostly interested in getting rid of my MX150. I love my amps, but am not not totally sold (especially after hearing the Krells on 800 D's).

Here's really why I'm considering Krell. For two channel music, I listen to my W4S DAC2 direct to my amps (using the DAC2 as a preamp) -- and the sound is great, but the MX150 just can't keep up with that. I took my DAC2 to a friends house and listened to his setup (S1200 with out-of-my-league Wilson Alexandras) and the Krell as a preamp was just as good as my DAC2 as a preamp. He also had a Evo 2 channel preamp, but I wasn't very interested in hearing it as much as the S1200. I never thought I'd be saying that, but it's true. The Krell S1200 is an awesome preamp. I don't believe I'll always have my DAC2; I'd certainly like to listen and try out other DAC's. But, if my preamp isn't up to snuff there's no sense in trying to improve.

I suppose I could just get rid of the MX150 and get the S1200, but it's not exactly a combination that people are happy on (most say that McIntosh and Krell do not mix very well).

Last edited by allen_bh; 06-12-2012 at 07:08 PM.