View Single Post
Old 06-19-2018, 03:19 AM

MEMO: To All Bryston Customers
SUBJECT: It’s All About System Resolution - Hi Res vs Redbook

June 2018

I am not sure if you know Mark Weldrep of AIX Records. He has a blog regarding “TRUE" High-Res music recorded and mixed in 24-96. He has serious concerns about all the so called High-Res disks sold based on Low-Res masters from the good old days.

Well a few days ago he put out a challenge to see if a 100 or more people would participate in a blind test to see if they could discriminate between the 24-96 and the CD 16-44 standard. It was not easy because the files were extremely well recorded and sounded just fine in both formats.

High- Res might be:
Tune 1
Tune 2
Tune 3
Tune 4
Tune 5
Tune 6

It seems I accurately achieved 5 out of the 6 correct. Which apparently was very unusual. Mark wanted to know how I did it, (see answer below). Basically I attribute it to the excellent Bryston Active System and the flexibility of the Bryston BDP Digital Player.

“Hi Mark

I was using a Bryston Digital Player and the new Bryston Active Model T speaker setup.

It is the best sound I have ever known irrespective of price. Primarily because it is truly phase aligned with a DSP. It rivals the punch of Dynamic speaker with the highs and sound stage of Electrostatic.

I was listening mostly for the high frequencies like cymbals and percussion. Female voice had more “depth” and “complexity”.

Cheers
Drew”

Last edited by James Tanner - Bryston; 06-19-2018 at 07:20 AM.