View Single Post
Old 11-12-2016, 06:42 PM

That is interesting. Since the late 1980's I have also had primarily electrostats. I started with an original pair of Acoustats I bought used for $200. They were around 10 years old and never did work all that well. I have also owned Magnepan MMG, Soundlab Dynastats, Apogee Slat 6s and lastly Martin Logan SL3s. I really took a much more expensive speaker to lure me away from planar type of speakers.

What I meant about less forgiving was electrostats can be very revealing. You really get out of them what you feed in. My Sonus Faber are a bit warmer and more forgiving.

That is very true about both the modern ARC amps and preamps. I fell in love the first time I heard an Audio Research Classic 60. It was the best amplifier I had ever hear. That was the late 1980's. I have owned Audio Research ever since. But some ARC pieces have been better than others. And I have not always felt everything was an worthwhile upgrade. But they have also hit some grand slams and the Ref 5se is definitely that.

Curiously I am also a big train fan. I collect all sorts 0f pre world war II toys and especially trains.