View Single Post
Old 06-24-2009, 02:20 AM

MC352, yes those are mine.

The first one is for my Tannoy HPD-385A's, second a friend's Polk LSi15's, and the third mess is for a pair of custom speakers I designed. I can't wait to button them up and finish the cabinets.

As for recapping, electrolytic values drift after 10-20 years, also the best electrolytic won't sound as good as a cheap film cap. Recapping can make a night or day difference, depending on what was used in the speaker originally, how old the components are, how revealing the speakers are, and the quality of the components used in the rebuild. For basic builds or large values, Dayton film caps are the best bang for the buck. From there I would recommend Sonic Caps for some speakers, Obbligato, and Claritycap MR or Duelund for the high end. Claritycap MR's throw the biggest soundstage and sharpest imaging I've ever heard, but they don't work with every speaker. They can sound a little sharp with metal drivers. Duelund VSF is the best for tonality, but don't image as well as MR's. I'm going to try a pair of Duelund CAST caps soon. But in the meantime, I'm going to try parallel a pair of MR's and VSF's and see if I can get the best of both worlds.

If you like the sound of Mundorf S/O, you'll probably like Obbligato copper or gold caps. IMO, they sound better and they're also cheaper. The only downside is that they don't have a great selection of values.