View Single Post
Old 06-23-2009, 06:03 PM
Against the Tide

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC352 View Post
Guys,

Here are a couple of links from my local Audio Club regarding capacitors.
Re capping older crossovers can bring them back to life. I did it on a pair of ADS speakers I had, and it made a world of difference.

Capacitor tests -
Humble Homemade Hifi

The Sound of Capacitors -
Capacitor Sounds, Speaker Cables and Crossover Inductors.
Thanks for the links. Went with the Mundorf Silver in Oil for the crossovers in a pair Klipsch Cornwall II's.

The description in the link is very accurate.

Mundorf M-Cap Supreme Silver/Oil MKP 1200VDC – 2% tolerance (typ. 1%)
Technical specifications: An oil impregnated metallised paper dielectric capacitor, with the same series wiring as the Mundorf M-Cap-Supreme capacitors. The winding technology enables the production of induction-free capacitors. As the name indicates, high-purity silver is used for the capacitor coating, and the winding is impregnated with special oil developed in an exhaustive series of experiments and listening tests. The metallised paper foils make it possible to maintain extremely exacting production tolerances that cannot be achieved with traditional oil/paper capacitor designs. This is also the first time that the benefits of oil-impregnated capacitor design have been successfully combined with the well-known long-term stability of metallised paper and internal series wiring for induction-free performance. These low manufacturing tolerances is one of the key reasons for the wonderfully spacious music reproduction achieved with these capacitors: Perfect stereo is only possible when the performance of the left and right channels is virtually identical. The long-term capacitance stability of these products is equally important, of course. Without it there is no way to achieve really constant performance – not even with capacitors selected as matched pairs.”
Sound: The M-CAP Supreme Silver/Oil is one of my favourite capacitors! I can only underline what Mundorf states: “…wonderfully spacious and detailed sound reproduction … full and smooth tonal richness and diversity. This capacitor’s ability to bring out the finest nuances and the subtlest distinctions make the music sound more alive and “juicy”, …Wonderfully spacious music reproduction… ”. Music detail and depth throughout from top to bottom. Very smooth and liquid. To exaggerate things: it makes a standard Supreme Cap sound slightly rough!
Verdict: 10,5