View Single Post
Old 02-18-2018, 12:44 PM
Chief Toneologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by piolaxo View Post
Haven't seen a Post from Alberto in a while. He must be enjoying his system a lot!
So flattered that you guys remember me.

"He must be enjoying his system a lot!"

Yes I am!!!

I was on a quest for my own sonic nirvana (which I described as "deliciousness") and--much to my surprise--I found it, and in the most unexpected of combinations.

The core components of my current system are:

Digital source: McIntosh MDA1000 fed through a Sonos and MCD201
Analog: custom plinth Thorens TD125ii with SME 3009ii and Clearaudio Maestro (surprise)
Pre-amp: McIntosh C34V (surprise!)
Power-amp: McIntosh MC250 (surprise!)
Speakers: Tannoy Sandringhams

And, of course, my very own Delicious Decibels' The Delicious One. Which, alas, I am no longer producing because I am REALLY busy with other work. This is a key piece of equipment for me because, even with this very warm and forgiving setup, there are certain recordings that are too harsh or too thin-sounding for my taste (i.e. not delicious enough). In fact, I probably "blame" The Delicious One for ending my quest for sonic nirvana (a quest that was A LOT of fun.)

The suprise is that, after spending $$$$ on several modern, high-end, analog and pre/power-amps, I ended up with vintage stuff mixed with relatively modern equipment.

For example, the combination of a $$$$ MDA1000 with $ vintage McIntosh electronics is weird, but it works wonderfully for me.

I will admit that the Shindo Monbrison + Cortese were even better than this combination, but since I play my system several hours a day while I work, I did not want to worry about tubes. I will also concede that the MC501s would sound even better than the vintage MC250, but in my current setup I have limited rack space.

Like our friend Serge, when I am done with my current project I will probably come back and be more active on this forum.

In the meantime, I wish you all well and I hope that you are getting closer to your own sonic nirvana.

Alberto