Thread: Chernobyl
View Single Post
Old 06-16-2019, 01:45 PM

Not specific only to your post...

While nuclear ppwer plants are not without risk and 3 Mile Island, Chernobyl and Fukushima are all tragic stories, there should be as much press about the damage and health issues caused by power plants, steel mills and other factories in the last hundred years and in general the mining and burning of fossil and other perilous fuels. Equally tragic and more cases of long term damage and health issues I might guess...

FWIW and simply opinion...
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC1 View Post
It is unfortunate but it is a reality of things. Radiation disasters never go away without leaving a trail of very unfortunate events.

My father is an engineer who spent 40 years working at various nuclear plants. He is a big proponent of nuclear energy. I cannot disagree with the benefits of such energy but it is very unfortunate what happens when things go wrong like they did in Chernobyl and Fukushima. We have 400 other nuclear plants out there around the world and let’s hope none are ever an issue. Looking back from some point in time in the future, I doubt many will say the risk was worth the benefit but hindsight is always 20/20. But neither can we really make do without them today.

That people will pay the price of such technology goes without saying.

Thyroid abnormalities have shown up in American babies living along the West Coast, which researchers say was caused by radiation that leaked from Japan’s Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant in 2011. The new report’s conclusions “suggest that Americans may have been harmed by Fukushima fallout,” said one of the project’s researchers, Joseph Mangano. “Studies, especially of the youngest, must proceed immediately."

http://www.allgov.com/usa/ca/news/ca...08?news=849668