View Single Post
Old 12-08-2013, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post
The most likely reason that the CD6 doesn't support higher bit rates for USB, DSD or SACD playback is due to what ARC probably figured it would cost to implement that level of functionality vs the selling price. From a mfg perspective, it might be a BOM vs COGS thing, but who knows? It didn't make sense to me that Rega came out with a DAC in 2011 that only supported USB to 16/44, either, but that's what they did.

I know you wanted to stay with ARC and an American mfr. To those with similar requirements there are other American-made options available....Schiit, Wavelength, MSB, just to name a few.
Stephen....the CD-6 supports resolutions from 16/44 to 24/192 via all its inputs. What Marc was talking about is an upsampling function that you can toggle in and out if you want to upsample a 16/44 to 24/88 or 24/172 or a 16/48 to 24/96 or 24/192 playback. For some reason, if I understood his point correctly, on the USB input, you cannot upsample beyond 24/88 res for some reason. The CD-6 and CD-9 have quad DAC configurations which support red book up to 24/192 res files natively on all its inputs. You are right on the DSD front though, neither player support DSD playback.