View Single Post
Old 07-26-2018, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterclocker View Post
Great info!! I think I'll be trying some vintage Klipsch in the future with my KT150 Hotrod.

I love the sound with my current speakers, but the bass is just not there for rocking out (Seas A26 88db). I'm missing that deep room filling bass on Zep II RL and DSOTM. I was gravitating toward lighter music, till I hooked up my old Pioneer SX-880. That Pioneer reminded me of what I was missing in the bass, but then I lost the sweet tube sound
Another viable $ option exists for "more bottom end..rather than chasing different efficiency main speakers around. I recently tried pairing one of my custom built Scanspeak subwoofers (from another system) up with a pair of 91db custom built main speakers powered by the Hot Rod KT150 amp.

Very musical. The mains image well, blends well, sounds full, has bottom end. Seems to pair up particularly well with my ported (not passive radiator) Scanspeak sub. For store bought subs, maybe buy-try a Rel T/9i and return it if you don't like it. A buddy tried it too, kept his main speakers, and never looked back. What I like the best is being able to listen to it at very low volume at night and still have very full and musical sound.