View Single Post
Old 12-16-2017, 01:25 AM

Jack,

The Sonica streamer does work extremely well. I have been impressed so far. I got mine when it first came out too, though have used it mainly as a DAC between transport and integrated until now. This is my first foray into streaming, with or without it. I am pretty open to options for working with it, and really do appreciate the questions, opinions and discussion.

The jury is still out for my ears. These are just initial impressions. I will probably listen both ways more over time. I don’t tend to drive the same route between places every time, especially when I have multiple choices in routes. Further system upgrades will also likely be more revealing.

I fully agree there is a logic to keeping computers, or any extra link for that matter, out of the chain. There is also rationale for direct physical connections to reduce any losses or interference that may occur wirelessly. How good is the Apple Airport vs the iMac USB at sending a signal? Which is better? Try and find out. It is really cool that the Sonica has this versatility. We get to play with it to find out what each prefers. I also have a CD transport connected via coax to compare when I get a chance. I have not tried the optical input option, though.

I imagine there are a multitude of factors that can play into the difference in sound of wireless vs USB. For example, in the Sonica design, how is the signal processed differently from WiFi vs USB, once it initially enters the device? How is the clock managed differently? We could look at multiple minute variables. How many other factors affect these pathways...? I do not know the answers. These variables likely vary between components and systems as well. There is another thread currently asking a similar question... which could be expanded exponentially.

For now, they both sound great. The USB sounded a bit more more ”full” to me initially. But on a different day, with a different song... who knows. Wireless sounds excellent and is super convenient. The printer cable was scratchy and dead sounding, comparatively. The WW Silver Starlight 7 was definitely a great recommendation to start, and pairs beautifully with the Oppo Sonica.

Enjoy the music!

My best,
Shrinky