View Single Post
Old 09-29-2019, 11:13 AM

[QUOTE=hdbc;980791]
Quote:
Originally Posted by b_hol View Post
Anybody heard the DAW’s pushed with a McIntosh amp?[/QUOTE

I am using Wilson Sasha I with McIntosh MC-501 amplifiers. Obviously, both are older versions of these components. While I can't hear any fault with this setup, I can't help but think that a more transparent sounding amplifier would perform better. I have thought about trying PS Audio BHK monos or Pass. I would love to hear the system with the Merrill Element 118 monos, but at $36000 a pair, probably not happening.
I believe that you will find the Dag has more presence than a Mac. Mac's are more laid back more middle of the auditorium. Folks are always looking for a change but the 501's are superb amps and you will have to pay considerably more to beat them.

In addition, RH's Alexx review illustrates the difference between a show impression and a thoughtful review. If you read the Alexx review carefully RH spent over 6 months carefully listening to the Alexx. I have found this to be the case with all the speakers I have owned. Sometimes it takes a year to fully discover a speaker. That's why I know that comments like "I heard such and such and it blew such and such away" in a 2 hour listening session at a dealer do not mean very much to me. You can't evaluate in any way an expensive speaker in a listening session. The ultimate expression of this folly are cables, cords, and power conditioners. It's also what makes the high end so difficult. Grown men spend enormous amounts of money on the basis of a listening session that provides very little information regarding how the speaker or cable will actually sound in their room with their equipment. But this is what makes the world go round.

Last edited by Charles; 09-29-2019 at 11:31 AM.