Thread: Windom
View Single Post
Old 10-03-2019, 06:20 AM

I get the feeling that Ted has just found time to optimize the code. And each time there were suggestions on how these improvements sound being evaluated by a team that Paul has assembled including Bascom and the late Arnie Nudell. I think that’s what allowed the improvements to keep astounding us. From what I understand, Ted compiles the code with a few different variations - and these are then evaluated from listening.

With Windom, it was from trying some new algorithms on the new 2 box DAC that Ted found a way to implement in the older FPGA.

One of the perks of my job is meeting new guys to the hobby. Today a high school kid was driven to my shop by his mum and he’s saving for his real stereo system. He’s running some vintage make shift gear from 15-20 years ago and I’m really amazed at his enthusiasm. He said he’d been reading about the DirectStream which is part of his dream system and his mum said he’d been pestering her to bring to my store. And she finally relented.

I offered him to hear the DirectStream upgrade in person. Started him off with a song he was familiar with on Snowmass, then inserted the SD card to switch to Windom. The look in his eyes was priceless.