View Single Post
Old 03-23-2014, 05:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audio badger View Post

Just read my first Philip Kerr novel last month, "A Man Without Breath." Excellent book. I'm going to read the Bernie Gunther series from the beginning, just ordered the first two books. Also like Follett's historical pieces. "Winter of the World" is on my short list after enjoying "Fall of Giants."

If you (or anyone else here) has similar good historical fiction to recommend, I'm interested.

Paul
I've read nearly all of Follett's books, the 1st was Night over Water, which was great. They have all been rapid and pleasing page turners. WOTW carries on from FOG, with the odd high school history fact not deflecting too much, he used an army of researchers with both to fine effect. The hippie terrorist one, Hammer of Eden, is a slow burner initially but worth it, plus it's all USA.I also enjoyed an early book, The Man from St Petersburg, as well. A place called Freedom is a saga of a Brit transported to slave in the cotton fields in the 1760's and how he fares etc, which I enjoyed. Jackdaws is also good, about a group of ladies sent to do a vital sabotage mission in France shortly before D Day, a bit like the Magnificent Seven in lace. The 1200's -1300's duo, World without End and The Pillars of the Earth, get rave reviews, I haven't read them yet.

Supposedly not from the top drawer are The Modigliani Scandal, and Paper Money, about the stock market. A Dangerous Fortune is about banking, and Triple is about cloning, just subject matter here I think, though they may be good. Whiteout had shades of The Shining, but was good, On Wings of Eagles is also good, about a CIA agent in Afghanistan in the 80's. You will enjoy WOTW as it only loses a couple of percentages points to FOG.

You don't need to start with the early Gunther books, he is a superb character and the later one's well and truly stand on their own as well, plus they go back to the 30's as well as their current time period. I am enjoying Field Grey,and The One from the Other, and, A Quiet Flame, were superb as well.