View Single Post
Old 10-09-2009, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
Why did I not get the subs first!? I did a 3 step upgrade path. Wires, vibration control and finally subs. I had 1 and 3 backwards. Maybe. I realize that all the pieces contribute to the desired sound but the subs are in their own league.

I'm playing with positioning, crossover and level controls because they are close but not right yet. They can keep up with the ESL panels of which I grateful for. I played with my REL months and could not get as close to this as I have in 2 days with the JL's.

I didn't realize I had so much stuff vibrating in the house during the test tones! A quick run to Lowe's and a bunch of sticky dots to place behind picture frames solved a lot of issues.

The added foundation has brought a tremendous difference to the mids and highs and makes the Spire sound like a new speaker. The sound-stage appears much wider and deeper than without. The additional slam in the lower registers, which is lacking in an ESL, is a welcome improvement!!

Thanks to everyone here especially Ivan for pointing me in this direction. Serge, still have the Bryston available? I hate you guys!!

Gordon

Serge, I just saw your thread on the Bryston bumped. Very tempting!
Gordon, the JL subs are the "fastest" in the industry as far as I am concerned based on the amount of different subs I have heard before. Great choice for an ESL speaker.

As far as the Bryston, on the one hand you already have a powered bass cabinet in those speakers. On the other, the JL may actually blend better and may actually outperform your own powered bass cabs in your speakers if you allow the Bryston/Fathom to take over the duties of your powered bass driver.

You would be good up to 100Hz and maybe even a bit higher with the JL sub. That is as high as I can vouch for the Fathoms having played around with them extensively. They remain tight, crisp, well articulated and completely musical and in control up to those frequencies.

PM me, I can let you try the Bryston to see how it performs in your system.