View Single Post
Old 10-20-2020, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Carl, beautiful pics. Years ago my father owned a Tandberg 64X tape deck. We kept it for many years and it worked flawlessly. It was able to make recordings of vinyl records indistinguishable from the original. It's mechanical operation was flawless. It was relatively small, an absolute classic.

Many folks that don't go back that far don't realize that IMO tape was a superior medium than vinyl. A good deck like a 64X had no audible tape hiss, period. We had many prerecorded tapes. As a kid my ears liked tape much better than vinyl. Later on I owned a Nakamichi Dragon cassette deck for many years. It as I remember had the auto azimuth adjustment and made essentially perfect recordings. My preference for tape as an ultimate recording medium soured me towards vinyl, which I never liked anyway because I thought and still think vinyl has inadequate bass. With a good deck tape hiss is never an issue. For me tape has all the good of vinyl with none of the drawbacks and I think it greatly superior to vinyl, actually.

I look forward to seeing and hearing about the finished Studer you are working on. I am sure the sound will be worth the effort. I wish I could hear a Tandberg 64X again.

Best

Charles
Thanks for sharing your memories.
Good master tape copies from good recordings are the very best source there is, I think. I'v had the opportunity to compare high class recordings from master tape vs high resolution digital master in a High-End studio. The same high class recording technique but stored in a different media. This may be a matter of taste. For me there are something musically more appealing with analogue tape masters.

Quote: "I thought and still think vinyl has inadequate bass"

Of course one could argue for that. Often it's true. Poor and lean turntables set ups are like that. There are cures. Better vinyl set ups.
So, I'll challange you about it.
I'v heard many good vinyl set ups that can make your house shake and fall apart due to vinyl sound. But you have to choose one of the great turntables, good arm and a full range pickup. Thera are some. I can show you.
Maybe, you have to came to Sweden to experience that?