View Single Post
Old 06-07-2011, 03:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberto View Post
Omodo,

Welcome to the forum.

I own a Montille and a Cortese. Here's a link to my initial review of the latter.

The Montille is a great amp - I am not selling mine. But the Cortese is the amp I've been waiting for all my audiophile life. It's voiced just right for my tastes. I am going to make a leap and guess that it would sound amazing with your Altecs. If I had the room for them, I would love a pair of Altecs.

There is something VERY special about the sound of SET - I can't get enough of it. It's addictive to the point that my wife is starting to complain about me spending too much time listening to music . Never fatiguing and it makes even poorly recorded music sound good.

With previous setups, about 30% of my record collection did not sound good without some tone controls (harsh highs or thin bass) - I thought I'd never be able to live without a preamp with tone controls. The Cortese changed all that.

A few days ago - just for kicks - I put the Montille back in the system. It sounded great, but after a few tracks I was longing for the delicious midrange, smoother highs and incredible bass of the Cortese.

If you have the speakers for it (i.e. high efficiency) I can't recommend the Cortese highly enough.

I hope this helps and, again, welcome to this amazing forum!

Alberto
Alberto, Jerome, thanks for the welcome..

It was actually your review of the Cortese that led me to joining this site - great review btw. The Cortese is probably the option I am leaning towards at this point in time, but I would still love to find more info/reviews/impressions of the C-C EL34 before making a commitment - unfortunately there doesn't seem to be any other Shindo owners in my neck of the woods so getting to demo either option, in my system or otherwise, is unlikely to happen..