View Single Post
Old 05-01-2019, 03:36 PM

Thanks for the replies guys. I've actually been thinking about a Technics SP10Mk3 in a custom plinth for quite a while and became interested in the new offerings only after reading the recent reviews by Michael Framer. Interestingly, the new SP10R doesn't deliver as much torque as the SP10Mk3 but it leverages a modern power supply, core-less motor and has exceptional speed stability on top of its other technical merits.

My second system uses a Garrard 301as it's source and there's a level of energy and dynamics from that table that I'd like to replicate on my big rig. In fairness, the second system does not have as low a noise floor and it leverages a step up transformer. Still, I think a signifiant part of the slam and overall presentation can be attributed to the idler drive.

I recently placed an order with Artisan Fidelity for a custom two arm plinth and SP10R. I'll be using a Kuzma 4pt 14" arm as my primary and a Reed 3P on the back mount. I'll have additional arm boards for the future and may try an SPU friendly arm like an SME M2-12R down the road. It should make for an impressive combination. I thought about the VPI Direct Drive too but it doesn't seem to be taking the market by storm and wouldn't have incorporated the arms I really wanted.