View Single Post
Old 10-25-2015, 06:51 AM

Default got LS50, but so far not

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fastdriving View Post
I love the LS50's and have mine in my theater. Just for fun, I hooked up my LS50's to my ARC gear and paired it with my JL F113 sub to compare with my Sasha's. Wow! They won't be replacing the Sasha's any time soon, but paired with great gear and a sub, they can be made to really sound amazing.

I love experimenting like that.
hi 2FastDriving,

I got my LS50 last week and hooked up to my HT as front speakers, replacing a pair of Mission 771.

Last year I listened to LS50 at local dealer and was reasonably impressed, so this time around I just bought it (directly from KEF online) without thinking about home audition. Well, LS50 still sounded very good to me but I am a bit underwhelmed by it. Seems to lack the 'air' around sound stage that I thought it would have, and lack of bass.

Does LS50 need any break-in time? I listened for total of about 3, 4 hours, using DVD of Krystian Zimerman playing Chopin Ballads, and of him playing Beethoven piano concerto under Bernstein. Also Ma, Perlman and Barenboim playing Beethoven Triple Concerto on EMI DVD.

AV amp is Yamaha RX-2030.

Mission 771 gave me brighter highs (which maybe contributes to its better 'open air' stage sound) and deeper bass, I thought. But I also felt that LS50 may have a better overall tonal balance, so I am not convince yet that I had made a purchase mistake.

Maybe the location of LS50 is not ideal either. I tried to move it as far away from back wall as possible, but the most I can achieve is still slightly less than the ideal 50 cm (or greater) as suggested by the owners manual.

Will try to move it to my 2-channel listening area and hook them up to ARC 250 mono to see how much better they will sound.

Last edited by clin36; 10-25-2015 at 01:21 PM.