View Single Post
Old 05-26-2019, 04:11 PM

Default The original Hydra still has a lot of juice...

While awaiting likely-next-month delivery of a Venom 10NR power cord to replace the Sidewinder supplied with the original Hydra 19 years ago, I've moved the Hydra from the home office to the bedroom system to get a playback-seasoned point of reference on what the Venom will bring to the listening table.

The Hydra replaces a Blue Circle outlets-siliconed-onto-PVC Thingee power distributor. Because the Hydra won't fit into my current fixed-shelf audio rack (I'll build a Salamander-like replacement with threaded rods that aren't oily), it's temporarily parked atop four Stillpoints Ultra-Mini footers mounted on floor-sitting 2"-thick maple butcher blocks.

Right out of the gate, without any Sidewinder settling time, the Hydra said "screw my age" and blew the walls wide open with a much more detailed and spacious presentation, gut-belting dynamic punch, and transient quickness, enhancing the 'being there" sense of recordings mixed to achieve that illusion.

So why in heck did I wait so long to make the move? And how much further will I be sucked into the soundstage once the Venom gets here?

Bedroom:
Aurender N150-->Bryston BDA-3-->EMIA Elmaformer Cu passive line stage-->conrad-johnson MF2500-->Paradigm Studio 20 v.5
Wireworld Eclipse IC and SC
Shunyata Delta D6, Alpha XC, Delta NR v.2, Alpha USB; Altaira CG Hub
Stillpoints Aperture II; Ultra SS; Ultra Mini
GIK Monster; 242
Butcher Block Acoustics Maple Platforms