View Single Post
Old 02-23-2015, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by longgone View Post
Hi. I have an 80s Linn LP12 Sondek with Valhalla and Linn Basik LVX tone arm. All Linn. It has a Linn Adikt cartridge and the unit is set up and serviced by a Linn tech. I really like it. It is easy to operate. It looks very nice to me. Most of all, I like the sound. I've had this TT for a couple of years. It started with an Ortofon Bronze cartridge. Shortly after I got it, I took the TT to the Linn tech and he really tuned it up. He put new springs, bolts, new armboard, did something to the tonearm, rebuilt the Valhalla (it needed it), adjusted and made it as good as it could be. Both the Ortofon Bronze and the Linn Adikt sound nice, to me. I would like to hear some other cartridges. It's a bit challenging to compare other cartridges when they are in different systems than mine... and they can be expensive! Right now, I'm listening to Peter Green - Man of the World - the Anthology 1968-1983, on the Earmark label. I know there are some nicer TTs than mine out there, but I'm quite pleased and proud of my LP12. I also have another LP12 sitting beside me. I am thinking about trading mine, with a few bucks, for this one. This one has the later Circus and Lingo 1. It has an Alphason HR 100S tone arm. Kinda nifty looking. It is in nice condition. But my current LP12 is sounding so nice right now, that I am beginning to reconsider the trade. I am planning to see the Linn tech this week and see what the Alphason/LP12 needs. The Linn tech says it's an upgrade that should be noticeable. Whew! My mind wanders about some of the amazing TTs out there. I don't know very much about cartridges. I need to learn. My system is McIntosh with a C2300 pre, which has nice phono stages. Your Linn looks spectacular! So does all your gear!
Hello Longgone, thanks for the great reply and nice compliment. The Linn sound seems to be what it is all about! It is interesting that at some point my original Turn Table, A Project Perspex 6 with Sumiko Blackbird cart, which really rocked for me just seemed to loose its magic and my "toe tap" left. I purchased the Linn and after a little stumbling around with settings and cartridges I realized I was often rockin and jammin to the music coming from the TT on old tired Amp and Phono Pre tubes! Now, with fresh tubes I can't wait to get into my chair to listen. I can only imagine what upgrades are going to do. In a review I read somewhere that even the basic Linn is a Reference level player. Olskool