View Single Post
Old 01-13-2019, 09:31 AM

I just have to say that I like to se "Ask Paul McGowan" very much. I have a lot of respect for his knowledge and experience. I agree with a lot of things he sad and disagree with some things. He promotes his brand but have a touch of objectivity to it and he is often quit clear about that it's his personal opinion.
I spoke with him in Munich some years ago and he is nice to talk to. No doubt that he is experienced and skilled.

This is a hobby that is based on subjective experiences. We enjoy and listen to music very differently. For some people specification is important and some does not care about it. There are all sorts of different ways to get thrilled of music.
I'm not that much into the technical sounding equipment especially not technical sounding speakers if they at the same time don't involves me in the music. A lot of systems are unfortunately like that. I don't think that's how music sounds live. When I play the piano ore drums or listen to my son playing the guitar or listen live concerts it's almost never a technical sound. Many of the technical terms we use i HiFi are just HiFi-artifacts and they never appear in live music. One of the biggest differences are that live music are that much more dynamic. I almost never consider resolution as a problem in modern HiFi compared to lack of dynamics, both micro- and macrodynamics. Pinponting instruments and voices in the HiFi-stereo image is fascinating but very seldom possible in live music. I can like that factor as well but sometimes that kind of systems lacks the involvement in the music. The trick for me in my system is to mix this things in the right proportions and at the same time never miss the soul of the music
Listen to HiFi is another way of experience music and that is not live at all. A agree with Mr Mc Gowan that you will nether for real be cheated and think that HiFi is live!
The hole point is to make your system sound the way that makes you involved and engaged in the soul of music.
What is a neutral sounding system??? Not even the same instrument sounds the same in different environments, temperatur, humidity etc etc.

Though there are some important factors that are present in good High End systems.

For me, there are a bunch of good technical speakers as well as a bunch of good "musical" speakers and also a mix of them.
Al these different sounding and well made speakers are to consider as High End speakers due to my opinion.
I love Magnepan, Sonus faber, TAD, Wilson, Verity Audio, Kaiser Kavero, Pathos, YG, some of the new Dynaudio, Rockport and many more brands. All of them set up properly sounds High End, but with a different sound.

So I disagree with Paul in this matter. To say that Sf not are High End speakers must be wrong in many different ways. The matter that Paul does not like the brand and the sound must be something else... his personal taste.
There are so many proud happy owners and fascinated reviewers about the Sf sound for over 30-years now. Not even Paul McGowen can destroy that truth.

Let's se if Paul's speakers will be as admired as Sf-speakers are around the globe. If they are they are probably very good as well and that would be great.

Now I will look at another episode of "Ask Paul McGowan" with pleasure.