View Single Post
Old 03-23-2014, 10:30 AM

Georges,

I just saw the thread and was sad to hear you were having this trouble. Although I have a tube preamp and amp, this "old" technology is totally new to me so I have no idea what could be wrong. I did do a search and found some information on another forum about a similar problem with Manley Snappers, where it was attributed to "defective/dying/leaking electrolyte cap in BIAS supply".

One thing I like about McIntosh tube gear is that they have been doing this for many years, and I am especially thrilled that the company was founded in my great state of Maryland, not New York, which everyone equates with McIntosh nowadays. Anyhow, I felt secure that--knock on wood--most of the issues would have been worked out with the technology over the years. In any case, I am so glad that I will have new tubes soon; mine are stock and I have been running them (not too hard) for the last 2.5 years. I am afraid something like what you experienced is slowly creeping up on me.

Anyhow, when you visit and listen to my McIntosh gear, you might consider coming over to the Mac side of the aisle. We can, of course, visit the Mac store, KSSONS, in the Paragon, too. So why don't you leave the speaker at home this time and save space to return with a MC275?