View Single Post
Old 03-16-2023, 03:11 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Famester V1 View Post
Since this topic has slowed down, I thought I would add this here.
I have been considering the Lumin X1 in place of my Aurender N-200
I was using Roon before adding the Aurender N-200, but Aurender doesn't support Roon, whereas Lumin does.
Also I can connect the X1 optically via the EtherRegen.
Wondering if the Lumin SQ will be any better.
Thoughts?
If I were to hypothesize, I would say...YES.

The X1 is Lumin's TOTL streamer/DAC, is fully dual-mono throughout, including dual-mono Lundahl transformers for the "DAC section", very high level ESS 9038 SABRE DAC chips.

Just some of the X1's features:
  • New processor delivers native DSD512 & PCM768 playback
  • Dual Mono design throughout maximises channel separation
  • Dual ES9038Pro SABRE DACs featuring 140dB dynamic range
  • Femto Clock System with precision FPGA distribution
  • New Output Buffer design
  • Dual Mono dual stage linear regulator
  • Optical Network provides complete isolation from network digital noise
  • USB Digital Audio Output supports Native DSD512

It also utilizes an external linear power supply with dual-mono Plitron transformers with these features/functions:
  • New solid billet CNC casing design
  • Separate digital & analogue circuitry
  • Low-noise linear regulator
  • New 9-pin output connector

Also, in my experience, the LEEDH volume control technology is, in my experience, the best-sounding means to control output volume I've experienced.

Lastly with respect to Roon: you can listen to content from a Roon Core or using the Lumin app completely seamlessly, switching between apps for any song, if you like. I use both, and while I think the native Lumin app sounds a skosh better, I use my P1 with Roon quite a bit. It's also really nice to be able to controil output volume right from my phone, iPad, Macbook Pro laptop, etc.

It's also one of the very best-sounding DACs and preamps I've ever heard, regardless of price.

I also use the P1's preamp section with my TT and EAR 324 phono stage and it's superb in that application as well.

And...it has a proper chassis-ground terminal on the back panel, so you can connect it to an Altaira. And, Altaira takes the P1 to another level altogether...

"Yeah, baby, yeah!" – Austin Powers, International Man of Mystery
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.

Last edited by Puma Cat; 03-16-2023 at 04:01 PM.