Thread: MC205 Question
View Single Post
Old 11-18-2018, 05:08 PM

Default MC205 Question

I currently run my center and rear surround speakers on a pair of Emotiva amps. They do the job but my experience with upgrading from Emotiva to McIntosh leads me to believe that using an MC205 in their place would be a stellar upgrade.

Back Story: I have a large room with two Vienna Acoustic Maestro center channel speakers in the room, slightly pointed outwards to give a bit wider dispersion to dialogue. It may sound odd to do this but it works quite well and sounds much better than having just one speaker in play.

The Emotiva amplifier that powers the center channels is a UPA-1 which is configured as a mono-channel amp with one input but has two outputs. Power is rated at 350W @ 4 ohms and it has no problem driving the two speakers.

Since the MC205 only has one input and output for the center channel I could split the cable from that amplifier to the speakers. However, I think there may be another way to do this which should provide me with a better power connection to the speakers.

I'm thinking I could use a Y configured balanced XLR cable from my center channel output on the MX135 and connect it to the MC205s Right front and Left front balanced inputs, then connect the two speakers to he MC205s R & L speaker outputs.

This gives me better power to drive the speakers and it should work, right???

Your comments and insights will be welcomed.