View Single Post
Old 08-18-2018, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firewire View Post
I purchased a new QX-5 just before the price increase and received recently. It was breaking in and opening up nicely after the 200 hour mark and easily beat my previous digital source, the Ayre C-5xe universal player. Then on the 11th day it stopped playing in the middle of a song. I cycled power and a fault appeared on the display "Fault FPGA". Unfortunately, I was not able to solve this issue and contacted Ayre support. Ayre indicated the issue was a communication problem between two integrated circuits and the unit would have to be returned to Ayre for repair or replacement if one was available. Another thing I noticed was it did not have a "Twenty" label on the front panel? I asked about this and they indicated it should have had the "Twenty" label. I hear of very few issues with the QX-5, so I may just have bad luck.
Update on the FPGA fault issue with my QX5.

I returned that unit to my dealer. My dealer order a new replacement unit and let me use his fully broken in demo unit until the new unit arrived. I was impressed how the demo unit sounded compared a new unit.

The new unit arrived on Aug 15 and as I proceeded to connect power and interconnects and noticed one of the Ayre link ports was not sitting flush with the rear panel, it was pushed inwards and upwards. (I do not have permission yet to post pictures). Closer investigation revealed this had to be an assembly issue. The port is normally locked into position by design and cannot be pushed inwards after assembly.

The sound quality of this new unit is similar to my first unit and no other significant issues so far. The fully broken in demo unit sounding smoother, more open and holographic.

I have yet to hear back from my dealer but I believe this second unit will have to go back to Ayre for service to be disassembled and reassembled to get the port correctly located through the hole in the rear panel?

I believe I really do have back luck now.

Last edited by Firewire; 08-18-2018 at 04:34 PM. Reason: Two grammer errors corrected.