View Single Post
Old 08-10-2018, 07:19 PM

I would say that is one of the best things about the QX-5 - it's detailed but never fatigue-inducing.

Older Theta DACs used to have the issue where they sounded wonderful - upon first listen, you picked out things you had never heard before - but after a half hour or so the listening fatigue was just massive.

That's one of the things I always wonder about when I hear people discuss how the Schitt Yggdrasil sounds like Theta gear.

When I say "space" I don't mean background noise of any kind, I mean a palpable touch of reverb commensurate with the space an instrument was played in - a lot for a concert hall, a little for a studio, none at all for a sound booth with foam on the walls and ceiling. That's what the Wadia gives me that the QX-5 didn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctsooner View Post
QX5 is a GREAT Digital Hub. It's not a DAC and shouldn't be looked at as only a DAC.
Yes, I have two sources connected to my Wadia (S/PDIF Coaxial and USB) so I don't need all the networking/streaming capabilities, at least not anytime soon.

Note that in its day the S7i was a $14K CD Player/DAC, so comparatively the QX-5 Twenty is a bargain.

Last edited by BillK; 08-10-2018 at 08:13 PM.