View Single Post
Old 06-29-2014, 02:18 PM
Semi-audiophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by W9TR View Post
Charles,
Sounds like a good plan. Using a smaller, non amplified antenna may be your best bet. Are you able to receive these phantom stations on your other receiver?

The Magnum Dynalab tuners are very sensitive, so they make excellent long distance performers. The downside is they are susceptible to overloading by strong nearby stations. You're living in an RF jungle! There may be other tuner options that would work better in your specific circumstance.

One way to tell if you have strong nearby station is a program called FM fool. You enter your address and it gives you a list of stations from strongest to weakest.

Tom
I hadn't heard of FM Fool. It may be worth a try. The SR-100 is still on backorder, so I don't have it yet. A few more days and I will contact the vendor, perhaps. Maybe I'd get an idea of when it might be coming.

There is a Harman-Kardon receiver in the bedroom with a traditional wire dipole attached; I haven't tried that in a while. But I remember getting a station or two better in there than in the living room. Location, location (I actually have a cell phone, and I get more bars in the bedroom than anywhere else in here).

As for the MD-90 itself, the idea of converting it to an MD-100 hasn't gone away; there's even an option for the MD-105, MD's top solid-state tuner. I'm pleased with the sound as is, so any conversions would be more about improved ability to pull in FM signals.
SOTA, Grado, SME, Van den Hul, Gingko turntable setup; Pioneer Elite LD, BDP; Sony OLED TV; Magnum Dynalab tuner, antenna; MIT S-video cable; Pangea HDMI cables; DVDO video processor; McIntosh SACD, preamp, power amps; Telefunken Black Diamond preamp tubes; Kimber IC; Transparent IC, PC, SC; Mirage speakers; PS Audio, Shunyata PC; Audio Additives RCA caps; Furman power conditioning; Sanus: racks

Last edited by prepress; 06-29-2014 at 09:00 PM.