View Single Post
Old 01-15-2020, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicoff View Post
Just to clarify, the center channel IS very important. What I am trying to say is that how you use the system can help you determine how much you need to spend on a CC. For example, if you plan on using the set up for multichannel music, then your best bet is having equal speakers everywhere. If, on the other hand, you watch movies with little or no special effects (like drama, documentaries, etc.), you may find a compatible CC that works well with your other speakers without having to spend a ton of money.

If sitting 8 feet away, your 77 inch TV is a good size. However, since you mentioned that you have a 12.5' x 12' room and you are making changes in the room, you may consider rearranging the room to allow you to sit farther back. Then you could install a screen on the wall. (Your 12.5' or 12' feet wall should easily accommodate a retractable screen).

In my experience, if audio is 50% of the experience, then video is the bigger 50%

And by the way, sitting farther away can also help you take better advantage of whichever center channel you end up with.
Thank you for your clarification and further recommendations.

We watch a variety of programming which include old movies to current releases of all genres with no multichannel music. To me, a timbre matched front L+C+R is more important than a larger screen.

I misspoke regarding the distance from our present seating position relative to the video screen of our new 77” display. The distance which I had saved from my old notes of 8’ from the display to our seating position was with our former 60” Kuro plasma which was stand-mounted and a few feet in front of the position where our wall-mounted 77” OLED now resides. I remeasured the distance which puts the viewing distance at 10’ from our seating position which is unfortunately is backed up against the back wall which isn’t sonically optimal, but necessary due to room constraints. Room correction and room treatment do help though.

Three top notch home theater designers told us that a projector wouldn’t be optimal in our small intimate room and my wife wants no part of a projector. She has the last say on these matters.