View Single Post
Old 04-27-2011, 11:55 AM
Semi-audiophile

Default Preamp Possibilities

I sometimes like to look ahead, namely, what would I do if a component went down with no hope of repair or was otherwise gone. For example, I already know what I would do if my speakers or amps needed replacing. Recently I was considering this with regard to my trusty Audio Research LS3 preamp, serving well since 1994. I have no upgrade plans but the time may come when it, too, would need replacing. I have identified the Bryston BP-16, Cambridge Audio 840E, Parasound JC 2 (though the long break-in time bothers me a bit), and the Macintosh C48 as possibilities; the JC 2 and C48 are at the limit of my likely spending ability, which shrinks as retirement gets closer (about 9 years, Lord willing).

I would be curious as to whether anyone has experience with any of the above they would share. Or perhaps with another worthwhile contender. Reviews are a source, specs another, but user info helps too. The C48 is obvious, since I have 501s, but that isn't a given. I consider solid-state only, as I'm not a tube fan. Thanks.