View Single Post
Old 06-27-2020, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCAudiophile View Post
W9TR, I think your explanation makes excellent sense. With subs you have reinforcement of the walls they are close to and a myriad of other factors that come into play more powerful than the relatively small difference the phase control makes. These factors overwhelm the small difference phase makes.

When you deliberately switch the spades, I suspect it would make a huge difference that could not be corrected by the crossover phase control.

This is why I could not hear "phase" in the past. However, since phase is so weak compared to changes in sub placement, first and foremost begin with the sub and main in phase, i.e. no crossed leads. Then place the subs for optimum integration, then tweak for phase.

I had no option for my Thor. I had to have it in the same plane as the mains. This is why my bass was reinforced at the 0 degree setting. I don't detect any change in the 30 Hz note but other factors could be causing this. I don't think having the sub in the plane as the mains is necessary for excellent integration. Get the best integration you can by placement and room treatment if necessary. Then tweak for phase with the phase control and a subwoofer test CD. That's what I'd do. But be aware that theoretically the same plane is the best and try it first. I think it interesting that 99% of subs are not in the same plane as the mains. But you see, if you have a built in sub as with GW's Ultra 9's, you have no choice. Built in subs are always in plane with the mains. Then you tweak for phase as he did and get your bass leaned out.

I think this makes a good case for built in subs.

Thanks for the explanation. I hope that anyone considering subs will read this discussion. It's the best I have heard.

Best

Charles

Last edited by Charles; 06-27-2020 at 01:41 PM.