View Single Post
Old 06-25-2020, 04:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crwilli View Post
So I guess your Phase adjustment is in steps? 0, 90, 180, etc?

The JL Audio subs offer a continuously variable phase control from 0-270.

Anyway, I am glad you have it nailed.
I think there is one more possibility and you may be alluding to it. Take GW's Ultra 9's. His built in powered subs are going to be in phase with his system. He has no option to experiment with independent placement of his subs. He positions his speakers for optimum bass, then optimizes his phase. Previously I would have thought optimum phase would have been the setting that maximizes bass which would be 100% in phase, but then that begs the question, why a phase control at all in a system like his? Systems like his may have an equalizer too. I believe my WC has one but it is easily heard and always switched to the out position. So is my HP. I would rather put up with clean peaks and dips than the effects they cause. I would never consider putting my entire signal through a HP/LP arrangement or an equalizer. I have been that route. I use LP only and my Thor is independent of my XVX.

But can a system that is using a sub from one manufacturer and mains from another even if correctly wired begin partially out of phase? I don't know the answer to this.

What I believe I have learned that I did not know before is that subwoofer placement is independent of phase. But both positioning and phase can and should be used be used to smooth out and integrate the sub(s) with the mains.

At this point I believe it advantageous to either have a built in sub or a sub with the same manufacturer as the mains because I believe that if you have correctly wired the sub with the mains you will be 100% in phase to begin with. In other words you have a reference point.

Now if I have understood you correctly, JL provides a procedure for correctly phasing their sub(s) to any mains. In other words obtaining a reference point of maximum and minimum phase. You set your phase there and begin positioning your system for best bass. If the room is really bad, room treatments may be necessary. Finally employ phase to touch up and correct any small peaks as I have done. I didn't have a severe problem to begin with. I, for lack of what to put the phase control on, put it on 0 and lived with it that way. My thought was, "Well, I don't understand phase. My mains and sub are in plane, so put the phase at 0 degrees, and hope for the best." Since I wrongly thought sub placement affected phase. This resulted, by dumb luck, in excellent bass for many years but not the best bass.

The Watch Controller does have a continuously variable phase control (0 to 180 degrees). For me 100% in phase was at 0 degrees and 180 degrees was the null, so I split the difference at 90 degrees and this eliminated my little peak. This could change in the future but I have had no urge to change it.

Again, thanks for the input. I think many folks don't use subs because they are expensive and ultimately can do more harm than good. Nevertheless, I am great proponent for subs. Helping folks understand phase vs positioning and importantly hear phase is important.

It has taken me 40 plus years to pull a test disc out and check for phase. Dumb me.

Last edited by Charles; 06-25-2020 at 05:06 AM.