View Single Post
Old 04-08-2009, 01:18 AM

Default Home Theater - Genelic

I am a huge McIntosh fan. However, anyone looking for new speakers for a large room home theater might want to check out Genelic powered monitors. They are internally amplified with a ton of adjustability. All you need is a good balanced xlr source.
I did a lot of research and demo'd many "high-end" theaters in the Tampa area, Mark Levinson, B&W, Revel,Wilson Audio, ect.
I found that you needed a different speaker for home theater than you for music only. My 2-channel is MC2200,MC1201's(thanks Ivan),B&W 802D.
But for home theater, I could not hear the dynamic sound at the spl I was looking for until I discovered Genelic. It was actually my cousin, a Berklee music grad that suggested I give them a listen. He said after all they use them as monitors in many control mixing studios.
Out of all of the theaters I demo'd the only system that out performed the Genelics was Ivan's system here in FL. Unbelievable. SLP, clear and very detailed. And I play the drums, so loud to me is insane to most.
Any way, if your in the $30k-$50k price range for speaker & amps, do yourself a favor and check out Genelic monitors. Mike Chafee will come to your home and tune in the system at no charge.
Hope this can help someone!