View Single Post
Old 04-15-2009, 05:05 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Default McIntosh C2300 In System

REPRINT - Oct.2008

Well, the C42 I bought for the studio system turned into a 38% profit yesterday. I used it in the McIntosh trade-up program, and brought home a brand new C2300 preamp. I moved the C2200 down into the studio system where the C42 had been, and now the C2300 is sitting on the top of my main system rack.

Yesterday I left the stock McIntosh tubes in place, and listened all day, and late into the night. Very smooth, articulate, open sound. This morning I pulled out the line stage 12AX7 tubes, and installed two smooth plate Telefunken 12AX7 tubes in their place. I have been listening to the C2300 since 9:00 AM, and there is no doubt to my ears, the Telefunken tubes are an improvement over the McIntosh issue. The bottom definition is tighter, the mid range is smooth as velvet, and the top end is without comparison, so clean, clear, airy, and life like. A triangle sound hung in the air so crystal clear I felt I could mute it by touching it. Beautiful music comes from this preamp, with a three dimensional sound stage that is solid, wide, and deep. The entire audio spectrum is almost organic. It is so life like, with warmth and breath. It speaks not only to your ears, but also to your soul. I have always loved this about McIntosh equipment. It seems to have a heart beat, and a pulse. It seems to have a life of its own. This is what endears McIntosh to the hearts and minds of owners, and listeners. It is griping and tender at the same time.

I'll have to spend some serious time with the C2300 after it has fully broken in before I can do the proverbial C2200 verses C2300 comparison. At this time, the C2300 seems a tiny bit more open. If this trend continues, it will be the top dog in this house. Time will tell. The build quality is improved over the C2200, with a much better cabinet, solid aluminum side panels, locking connectors for the male ends of balanced XLR cables, and beautiful solid RCA input connectors that are very impressive. The remote control offers some cool functions, too. Not only can you adjust bass, treble and balance with the remote, you can also adjust cartridge loading by remote control for both MM and MC cartridges. You can also adjust audio taper for each input, and turn the LED lighting on or off for the meters from the remote. That is a great feature.

So, the C2300 looks like it will turn out to be a sterling performer in every way, with features to spoil you rotten, and make you lazy. Despite its many functions, the C2300 is very user friendly, and simple to operate. I am impressed with this preamp. What's not to love. It's all there, including that glass window that lets you look at the tubes, with LED tube lighting to make them glow green. The tube lighting can be turned off, but I like the effect when it is on. You can see the two Telefunken tubes I installed on the right, glowing slightly different than the McIntosh tubes due to grid plate differences. This is one spectacular preamp. I think I made the correct move purchasing the C2300.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg C2300 in system.jpg (60.9 KB, 179 views)
File Type: jpg C2300 tubes.jpg (32.7 KB, 90 views)

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A

Last edited by jdandy; 02-19-2018 at 11:35 AM.