View Single Post
Old 01-01-2012, 01:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasont View Post
After reading the many great reviews of the 3.7, I've been curious about them. I mostly listen to rock and I've heard Maggies don't have the bass and slam to do a proper job with it but I wanted to hear for myself. I'm trying to hear as many different speakers as I can.

This was a quick listen though, just to get an idea of what they were capable of. They were hooked up to an ARC DSPre, DS225 and some Esoteric CD player (I didn't pay attention to the model as I don't need a CD player).

Overall I really liked them with the couple of songs I heard. I did notice a slight lack of body to the music but perhaps adding a good sub would take care of that?

One "troubling" thing though, was when we played AC/DC Back In Black. There was definitely some harshness or a hard edge to the guitar and vocal in some parts of the song. This would definitely quickly become fatiguing to me. And we weren't playing them too loud (~40 - 43 on the ARC DSPre).

So I'm wondering what may have caused that? I know there are many factors involved but are Maggies generally known for a potential harsh upper-mid, lower treble region? I'm not really seeing any mention of it in reviews. Perhaps it could be attributed to the gear or room? Or maybe AC/DC is just fatiguing

For what it's worth, hearing that same song 10 minutes later through Sashas, ARC LS27, Ref150 and a Linn Klimax DS-thing didn't have that harshness
I love the 3.7s but if you listen to mostly rock I would be looking somewhere else IMO... they can really boogie now that the 3.7s have a bit more bottom end grunt but they are not necessarily the best horses for heavy metal courses...

I would think if you were hearing glare it could be coming out of a combo of unhappy elements as Darrin suggested, or something still settling in or a mid range etching in the cables...

I used running the 3.7s naked with jumpers instead of resistors as a goal when pairing gear with them always going for transparency without hardness or grain as a primary characteristic... if the Maggies have enough hours up on them and you are hearing things amiss in the mids that they are only revealing a glare somewhere else in the system as they are indeed capable of a breathtakingly exquisite midrange.

PS If I were listening to Sasha's, Ref 150 and LS 27 and hearing anything other than bliss I'd be giving the game up there and then

Last edited by audiot servant; 01-01-2012 at 01:54 AM.