View Single Post
Old 10-24-2018, 04:38 PM

MEMO: To All Bryston Customers
SUBJECT: Toronto AudioFest 2018 – Bryston Demo – T-REX

NOVO MAGAZINE

Bryston Limited

Canadian manufacturer Bryston never fails to impress show goers with their big-guns approach to doing trade shows. What you are looking at above is a $60K all-Bryston system that includes a pair of the company’s brand new Model T-REX loudspeakers ($22,000 tentatively) driven by Bryston electronics. Each T-REX speaker tower is just under 9 feet tall, and composed of two identical Model T Signature speakers – the speaker on top is simply inverted. Existing Model T Active and Model T Signature owners can upgrade their systems to this four speaker configuration.

What inspired this rather crazy T-REX project? James Tanner, VP of Sales and Marketing at Bryston, told me it was the double Advent speaker configuration of the 70s that inspired the T-REX. And what are the advantages of such a setup? You can expect more consistent sound throughout the room, lower distortion (cut in half actually), a lot more bottom end and real world dynamics. This kind of setup also loads the room differently and really smooths out the bass response in the room.

Here’s a picture of James Tanner beside the new T-REX for size reference.

I sat down beside James, with an iPad in hand, controlling the music in the room, and he played me a variety of music genres to showcase the system. There is no question that this system played with awesome, true-to-life dynamics. The vocals were palpable, the midrange sweet and smooth. The highs played with delicate details. Meanwhile, the bass reached the lowest notes with ease and utmost control.

You might think that the imaging would be compromised by speakers with so many drivers but you’d be completely wrong.

The T-REX speakers painted a vast soundstage with excellent three dimensionality.

I was tempted to ask James to turn up the volume, but I didn’t want to scare the other visitors out of the room.

Bryston also proudly debuted its new powered wireless speakers at the show.

There are three new models: the Mini A (70 Watts total), the A1 wireless (500 Watts total) and the A2 wireless (500 watts total).

All three models are powered by new Class D amps with a linear power supply and all models offer wireless connectivity to music sources.

Do I smell a NOVO review coming soon? I sure do – as soon as they can ship us a pair!

Finally, the company also showed a new Bryston 620B Cubed amplifier that offers 6 x 200 Watts of power. This new model will come in 2 versions – one for home applications and another for pro applications.

Last edited by James Tanner - Bryston; 10-24-2018 at 04:41 PM.