View Single Post
Old 11-30-2012, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdough View Post
Joe and Mike...Did you find that the xa100.5 were able to drive your speakers to pretty loud levels? My speakers are rated at an efficiency of 91 dB. I'm wondering if the xa100.5 would be enough to give me the dynamics I'm after? What do you guys think? I wound use them for HT and stereo.

Patrick
I heard the 60's right through the 200's and felt that any of them would easily drive my 93db efficient speakers. I think the 100.5's are the sweet spot - but I went for the 160.5's because I felt they were perfectly balanced from top to bottom. That being said, demos are tough to properly judge something. It needs to be on your cables, in your room and with your speakers and gear.

I have tried like heck to move the needles on my 160.5's - to no avail. I was told this about my 160.5's - "they produce 328 watts into 4ohms of pure class A. Once the needle gets past "about 2 o'clock" - you are above the 328 watts and now into class a/a/b which can deliver a lot more power - BUT distortion will increase as well." If this happens - I'll look like the guy on the old Maxell commercial! This is worth a read: https://passlabs.com/articles/leaving-class-a

My speakers can only handle 300 watts, and 30 watts is bloody loud. So, I would need to be pushing 300 watts to start to see the needles move.

Are your speakers 4ohm? If so - then you should be fine. If you can make the move to the 160.5's - then you may have an amp for life (unless your name is Mike or Joe!)

Mike