View Single Post
Old 12-24-2017, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by W9TR View Post
I'm getting some width and it is pretty amazing. I don't know if it is in my head as a perceived response or if it is real.

Back in the '80's I was involved with some audio localization projects at Wright Patterson AFB. The idea was to present threats to the pilot aurally based on the direction the threats were coming from. So for example a cruise missile coming up your tailpipe would be heard below and behind you.

Don't know what ultimately happened to that project but the performance in terms of spatial accuracy was very very good.

That leads me to believe that some of the best aspects of 2 channel listening on speakers can be replicated in headphones with the right dsp.

One interesting imaging test is Roger Walters 'Amused to Death'. When listening to my speakers, there are sounds coming from far left, far right and even behind (is that possible? - guess so) that lose their impact and directionality when played on headphones.
Ah yes, the Roger Waters "Amused to Death" is a Qsound recording. Lot's of spatial and phase trickery going on there. Track 3 "Perfect Sense" should have the old man's voice on your left shoulder and breathing into your left ear if the speakers are positioned properly in your room. Kind of spooky to say the least. It is pretty much the same with headphones but the old man appears slightly behind the left shoulder/ear. The rolling thunder does not appear overhead as it does with 2 channel though.