View Single Post
Old 01-06-2016, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey_v View Post
Here is an excerpt:

The driver section underwent a major revision and now features a fully complementary signal path with individual transistors employed for the positive and negative halves of the musical signal. Current drive is nearly doubled which feeds a new output stage with an open loop gain increased by the same factor of two.
It's unusual not to have a fully complementary driver stage, so I'm surprised it wasn't designed that way initially.

The output stage sounds interesting. Typically, solid state output stages are emitter / source followers with 100 percent local negative feedback, so it's not usual to refer to "open loop gain" when discussing the output stage.

When Dan was in Melbourne a few years back just after the momentum launch, I did have the opportunity to have a brief chat with him and he was generous enough to let out a few of the Momentum's design secrets, but he didn't mention anything specific about the output stage, other than the very high level of transistor matching employed.

Fwiw, I've heard Momentum mono's on several occasions and always been impressed, although my personal preference remains for the the older FBP Krell's.