View Single Post
Old 03-02-2021, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonmb View Post
Yes, I get all that, I was just trying to state the commonly accepted definition of headroom in an amplifier. Re your car analogy, they would be 55mph rated tires that had the capability to be punched to 70 for brief durations.
Sure, if the amplifier can double its power into a decreasing load, it is said to have 3dB of headroom.

‘If the peak or dynamic power output rating is double the amount of the stated or measured RMS, Continuous, or FTC power rating, this would be an approximation of 3db dynamic headroom.”

Of course we all know that’s not twice as loud. To be twice as loud, it would need to increase power by a factor of 10.

What I’m confused about is when audiophiles talk about dynamic headroom when both the amplifier and power line supplying it with current are well within the operational zone and not at the limits.

The bass control and overall feel of amp to speaker interaction has much more to do with damping factors and current delivery of the amp. That has to do with the testicular fortitude of the amp itself. Capacitive storage, robust transformer and a beefy power supply.