View Single Post
Old 08-17-2017, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still-One View Post
Their parts "may" come from VPI as you note but the tables are assembled by Shinola. If that is the case then what are the "important aspects" of the audiophile are these tables missing?
I prefer to buy audio components from companies who spend most if not all of their time perfecting their audio offerings. A company who makes watches, bicycles and other goods that appeal to the fashion crowd is likely not going to have enough time and resources to perfect their designs. This is just my impression of their company, without any empirical evidence. In the end hearing is believing. I therefore keep an open mind about their turntables.

But if I had to make a choice between their turntable and a Clearaudio at similar price I would choose the Clearaudio every time. The Shinola might look cooler but I trust Clearaudio more because they know what they are doing and I do have empirical evidence to support my opinion (having owned two of their turntables). Clearaudio (and other companies who do only audio goods) are also better equipped to service their products, given that they do not also have to provide service to a bicycle and watch line.

Shinola fills a need for fashionable looking turntables, so this is a good thing for people who value fashionable looking things. I don't have a problem with this, it's just not what I look for in a brand.