View Single Post
Old 03-25-2019, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricjor1 View Post
"You also heard the Firebirds which is hard to unhear, I imagine that would be another level compared to the Thunderbirds." My conclusions have absolutely nothing to do with hearing the Firebirds. My conclusion is based on actually listening to the Thunderbirds in my system compared to other speaker cables that I've heard in my system. The dealer said, that the Thunderbirds sound better with the bass cable. Imagine that, I need to spend another $4K just to get the Thunderbirds to sound good. In my opinion that's laughable.
Sorry didn't mean to imply Firebirds were the cause for you disliking the Thunderbird. It's pretty simple, you listened and it didn't work, which is the only way to do it.

I do agree that their price hike is hard to justify especially if you are happy with what you have. However, I don't call it laughable since this is a synergy and preference thing. In my system the Thunderbirds Zeros perform well (so far) without the bass cable. The dealer recommended Zero + Bass which comes at a certain price point. It similar to a someone recommending the Wild cables and you try the Oaks. Pretty awesome that the Clarus Crimsons can best the Thunderbirds though. If you need spend more than double to come close in you system, then really why bother.

I spoke to the AQ guys a few times about these cables. They were comparing the Thunderbirds (zero + bass) to the Wilds and WELs. IF that's true, then the Thunderbird combo comes at a lower price point. I haven't heard the comparison so can't comment on it. This is all in the AQ world that is, not comparing to other brands which may have bigger bang for the buck. With their new pricing strategy it's hard to believe there aren't other brands of cables which can come close to, if not beat, at way lower price points.