View Single Post
Old 03-25-2019, 01:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnrmf1971 View Post
Did you get to demo them against the Oaks in your system?
If so, what did you hear?
Ok, so spent the weekend with the Thunderbird Zeros. At first I was thinking it was lacking bass, but it was user error with the amp config balance/unbalanced source select. I only have 40 or so hours on it, but so far I like what I am hearing. They are paired with ML 11As, MC452, Marantz 8805 pre/pro, and a Meridan 218. Using Fire and Earth interconnects.

Compared to the Oak, the Thunderbrds are clearer and feels like the music is seamlessly delivered (if that makes sense). Instruments and vocals are crisper and bass is more defined. That being said, the sound is closer to silver than copper in the sense of neutrality and transparency. They are more unforgiving, very true to source with much less wiggle room. Then again, I am running these with the ML 11As, with other speakers that may be different.

In terms of soundstage and depth will wait for some more hours on the cables beforing making that assessment. The Oaks had some great depth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricjor1 View Post
I had Thunderbird Zeros over the weekend. They were demoes that had over 100 hours on them. I'll just say cables are system dependent and I returned them. Anyone considering the Thunderbirds should listen to Wireworld Silver Eclipse series 8, Audience Au24, Shunyata Alpha, Shunyata Sigma, or Clarus Crimson speakers cables.
Definitely system dependent, it’s amazing how one pair of cables in one system sounds great and in another average at best. You also heard the Firebirds which is hard to unhear, I imagine that would be another level compared to the Thundebirds. Clarus seems to be a huge value, hope to try them out at some point.