Thread: Legacy Calibre
View Single Post
Old 12-18-2018, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCAudiophile View Post
I've heard the version you have and love them...you are doing just fine! You can always upgrade in the future and add the Foundations!

Thanks for the warning on the grills; that's something new in my >11 years owning Legacy's before. On my AERIS this would come off with a bit of care but these are not getting touched !
To satisfy the need/want for more bass (and take on another project I don't have time for, LOL), instead of adding in a subwoofer, I'm hoping to have a working prototype of my "copycat-calibre" by late summer 2019. I'm no speaker engineer like Bill, but I have enough background and know just enough to be dangerous to setup something really good, along with the help of others, mainly for the design of the crossover. I've already tested some of the best 10" midbasses I could get my hands on, and some top AMT's, as well as catalogue'ing lots of measurement data. Bass section will consist of four 10" subwoofers and four 10" passive radiators, in each enclosure(!). If it's one thing that metal needs, it's kick-you-in-your-chest thump when the double bass drums are blasted on! Only the bottom face of the speaker will not have a sound radiating surface, LOL. Of course it's not something that is gonna have a lustrous finish like the Legacy offerings, but I expect monstrous performance in a package just slightly larger than the Calibre cabinet (about 25% or so). I anticipate >120lbs per cabinet, lol.