View Single Post
Old 04-06-2020, 02:05 PM
Lower Provo River, UT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Thank you Bill. I am trying to find out if I am eligible as an XVX owner to purchase a MC sub. I hope that I am. But if not I will be completely satisfied with a new Thor. I want my XVX and associated sub to age at the same time. Getting the new crossover and paring it with a 9 year old sub while ok is not ideal. I really like the 15" drivers and cosmetics are secondary. My dealer is calling today. I hope XVX owners will be eligible for a MC but would not want an Audio Subsonic. I think as a stereo pair and in a more elegant room (mine is a mancave) a Subsonic makes more sense. So it's a Thor vs MC for me
Charles, Dave created the Master Subsonic to best match the woofers in the WAMM and to go lower more linearly than Thor. It was a substantial improvement in the Music Room when Dave installed the first Master Subsonics.

I believe either a Subsonic or a Master Subsonic would be the ideal match to XVX as well. The difference between Subsonic and Master Subsonic is internal bracing and metalwork. (Thor's bracing is similar to Subsonic's, though the slightly smaller width and depth dimensions of Subsonic allow the bracing to better stiffen the cabinet.) While the metalwork has a different finish on Master Subsonic than on Subsonic, it serves the same purpose on both - to add mass to and further stiffen the front baffle. Either would be a nice step up from the Thor but I can certainly understand your desire to go to the Master Subsonic.