View Single Post
Old 03-30-2017, 01:52 AM

Default Treating the dresser...

Late today FedEx delivered a pair of 2'x4' full-range 244s intended to replace the 244s I borrowed from my main living-dining-room system to try out on the front wall of my bedroom system. Before I replaced anything, however, I opted to use one of the new 244s as a horizontal stand-in for the pair of 2'x2' 244s (I shorthand them as "224s") I've ordered to treat the massive reflective surface of the lowboy dresser positioned ("jammed" is more like it) between my Paradigm Studio 20s. This would allow me to get a feel for the extent, if any, of sonic improvement I could expect with the 224s in place.

The panel's trashy-looking "stand" is a temporary jury-rigged variable-height collection of wood scraps to be used until I build a pair of oak stands for the 224s. To minimize SBIR, I settled on a final height that puts the top of the stand-in 244 flush with the dresser's top.

I left the second "new" 244 out of the room entirely while I conducted listening tests. For the comparisons, I started by listening with the stand-in also out of the room and then in front of the dresser.

My first audition was a 24/176 file of Eije Oue conducting the Minnesota Orchestra in the third movement of Sergei Rachmaninoff's Symphonic Dances (Reference Recordings). Without the stand-in in place, the movement (in which Rachmaninoff bats the "Dies Irae" around in a variety of incarnations) sounded as I had come to expect with the bedroom walls and first and second reflection points treated--open, with a discernibly wide and deep soundstage, firm bass foundation, detailed mid and top end, good imaging, and good dynamics with nothing seemingly "glued" to the speakers themselves.

Now let's see what, if anything, happens with the stand-in installed. I click on the third movement again in JRiver, flop quickly onto my listening position on the bed...and WHAM! The presentation screams "palpable presence" with a more expansive soundstage with better-"lit" and -defined rear corners, more intra-soundstage "space" that translates into more-perceptible layering between orchestral sections, more liquid mids and highs, and bass definition that thumps the gut. The speakers have "disappeared" even more than before. OK, enough with the hyperbole. Let's just say I was floored and leave it at that.

For the next with/without comparison, I selected something from another Keith Johnson recording--"Beckus the Dandipratt" on the Malcolm Arnold Overture outing. Same outcome, except the venue is different, and that's immediately discernible.

Since I got off to a late start, I'll have to do more listening comparisons tomorrow. But it already seems clear that treating the dresser's reflective mass, especially given its proximity to the speakers, was the essential next step in getting the room "right."

(For those who wonder, BTW, why two 224s instead of a single 244 for the final configuration diagrammed below, it's a matter of livability. We still have to get into the dresser drawers regularly, and moving one 224 out of the way is...well, you get it.)

A big thank-you to Brian Pape for his guidance on this phase of the project. The 244 is the right way to go.

--Jim

Bedroom: Aurender N150, TEAC UD-505 AKM version (to be replaced by inbound Bryston BDA-3), EMIA Cu Elmaformer passive line stage, conrad-johnson MF2500, Paradigm Studio 20 v5. Shunyata Delta D6, Altaira CG hub. Shunyata Alpha XC, Delta NR v2, Alpha USB, Alpha and Venom CGC/SGC. Wireworld Eclipse 8 interconnect & speaker cables. Stillpoints footers, Butcher Block Acoustics maple platforms. Stillpoints and GIK acoustic panels.

Home Office:Windows 11 PC/JRiver 31, TEAC UD-501, Luminous Audio Technology Axiom II Walker Mod passive, conrad-johnson Sonographe SA-250, Paradigm SE-1. Shunyata Hydra (Original Version), Venom 10 NR. Wireworld Eclipse 7 interconnects. Blue Jeans speaker cable.

Living-Dining Room: Windows 11 Laptop/JRiver 29, Oppo BD-83, TEAC UD-501 DAC, SOTA Sapphire TT, Graham Slee Era Gold V, Ortofon 2M Black, McIntosh MR-77, c-j Sonographe SC-25, c-j MF2500, Paradigm SE-3. Wireworld 8 IC, Blue Jeans SC. Shunyata Hydra 8 v.2, Shunyata Delta NR, Venom NR. GIK 244 bass & scatter-plate panels.